About the Program
The program has an intake twice per year, with commencement dates and rotations varying due to availability.
There will be two (2) different programs to choose from – Perioperative Graduate Program and the Medical/Surgical Graduate Program. Details of the programmes can be found on pages 5 and 6.
Program Schedule for 2022
2nd May 2022
6th June 2022
Applications Reviewed and Interview Period
Employment packed issued
1 week from date of offer
***Note dates are indicative only and may be subject to change***
Offer to Successful Applicant
- Comprehensive Orientation program
- Time to adapt to your facility’s processes, routines and competencies
- Clinical support staff/educators/preceptors within your allocated area
- Educational support enabling you to achieve your professional development goals
- Regular appraisals and feedback about your performance to ensure you remain on track
- Flexible online eLearning via KINEO Platform
- Scheduled debrief with Hospital Educator, to help you grow and adjust to life as a Registered/Enrolled Nurse
- Opportunity to present a Quality Improvement Project with support and guidance from Hospital Management
- Opportunity to work in a Multidisciplinary Team
- Opportunity to work directly with the Visiting Medical Officers (VMOs)
- Desirable remuneration rates
In addition to the great experience and support you’ll receive in our clinical areas, our paid Study Days help to ensure that all Hurstville Private Graduates receive evidence-based, relevant education focussing on patient centred care and the Healthe Care values.
How to Apply
Before you apply
It is important that you take time to consider your preferred program as our interview process will be specifically focused on your program of choice.
Addressing the selection criteria
The program is open to recent graduated registered or enrolled nurses, with proven working rights in Australia.
To be considered, you must comply with the following criteria:
- Successfully complete your studies and be eligible to register with the Nurses and Midwives Board of Australia (AHPRA)
- Be able to commit to a 12-month program
- Fulfil the AHPRA English Language Requirements
- Be committed to ongoing learning and professional development
- Be willing to embrace the values of Hurstville Private Hospital and Healthe Care.
All applicants must provide a cover letter addressing the listed criteria per above.
Evidence of your work rights
Examples of evidence which will be required include:
- An Australian or New Zealand passport;
- An Australian birth certificate (provided you were not born in Australia as a temporary resident. You may need to show electoral roll details to verify citizenship in addition to a birth certificate in some circumstances)
- An Australian Citizenship Certificate;
- A Permanent Residency Visa;
- A working Visa
If the name on any of your documents is different to that of your application form, you must also provide evidence of name change, e.g. Marriage, Divorce or Change of Name Certificate
Submitting your application
Please email your cover letter, current Resume and supporting documents to:
Hurstville Private Hospital
Email: [email protected]
Late applications will not be accepted so please be familiar with closing dates.
After submitting your application, you will only receive a confirmation email if you have been selected for an interview.
It is critical that you provide a valid email address and mobile number on your cover letter and/or Resume, so we may contact you if your application has been successful.
You will not be able to change your preferences of your application once it has been submitted. If you wish to change any details on your application or withdraw from the process you will need to email Racha Baddah (Hospital Educator).
The Recruitment Process
Not all candidates are invited to progress. If your application progresses to the next stage, you will begin the recruitment process, which includes an interview, reference check and an employment pack. If you are successful in the recruitment process, you will receive an Offer of Employment
Our interview process consists of a panel of 3 members from our Management Team. The interview will be conducted from our conference room at Hurstville Private Hospital, either face-to-face or via a virtual platform. All applicants at the interview stage will be notified via email of the interview outcome as follows:
- You have been unsuccessful - you have been unsuccessful and have been placed on an eligibility list if positions become available.
- You have been successful - an employment pack will be issued to you shortly to complete
If your employment pack is complete and your reference checks are favourable, you will then be offered a position within the New Graduate Program. You will have up to one week to accept the offer via email, otherwise, the offer will be withdrawn.
Once you have accepted the offer, a contracted Offer of Employment will be drawn up containing your start date and requiring your signature.
Programs on offer
Peri-operative New Grad Program
Perioperative nursing is a dynamic and principle based specialty. Diversity of procedures require skilled clinicians to support this work.
This 12 month program aims to prepare graduate registered and enrolled nurses to work as specialists in perioperative nursing in the roles of the instrument and circulating nurse and to gain experience in the anaesthetic & recovery nursing roles. The course provides opportunities for graduates to expand their knowledge and skills by integrating theory and perioperative nursing clinical practice in order to engage in clinical decision making.
If you have a desire to specialise in Peri-operative nursing this is the program for you. Suitable for New Graduate Registered and Enrolled Nurses. Graduates will rotate across the 3 perioperative nursing roles including:
- Anaesthetic Nurse
- PACU/Day Surgery Nurse
- Instrument/Circulating Nurse
To successfully complete the program, graduates need to complete a 12 month program in one of the following rotations:
- Two 6 month rotations in Anaesthetics/PACU or
- Three 4 month rotations in Instrument/Circulating Nurse, Anaesthetics and PACU.
The rotation schedule will be determined prior to the commencement date and issued on the day of orientation
About our Perioperative Department
Hurstville Private Hospital operating suites consist of a 7 theatre complex, 16 Bed Post Anaesthetic Care Unit and a 19 bed Day Surgery Unit
Surgical specialties undertaken in the operating suite include:
- Robotic Surgery
- Bariatric/Weight loss Surgery
- Plastic/Reconstructive Surgery
- Gynaecology Procedures
- Orthopaedic and Spinal Surgery
- General Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Medical/Surgical New Grad Program
This is a twelve (12) month program ideally suited to those wishing to gain a grounding in Medical/Surgical nursing. This program is suitable for both the New Graduate Registered Nurse as well as the New Graduate Enrolled Nurse.
The rotations will consist of:
- 6 month within the Medical Unit
- 6 months with the Surgical Unit
The rotation schedule will be determined prior to the commencement date and issued on the day of orientation.
About our Surgical Unit
Hurstville Private Hospital’s Surgical Unit consists of 33 beds. The Surgical Unit offers high quality care and is staffed with a team dedicated to person centred care, positive patient outcomes and reduced length of stay.
About our Medical Unit
Hurstville Private Hospital’s Medical Unit consists of 33 beds. The Medical Unit delivers patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health conditions.
The unit is comprised of a team that is dedicated to all patients receiving quality treatment in a timely manner